July 25, 2018 4:32 pm
Tags: miller metcalfe, moving house, moving tips, sell, service
What your moving home timeline should be
Moving house can be a stressful time, especially if you are not organised.
Relax, we’ve put together a checklist to help smooth out the moving process.
2 months before.
- Be organised – having all your move paperwork together will make sure your not faffing round looking for a missing document last minute! Buy a file or folder to keep everything together.
- Keep or Go – Deciding what your keeping or what must go early on is important. If you know there won’t be enough room for all your things (if your downsizing) don’t be afraid of letting go of things.
- Moving companies – having a reliable moving company is essential as you don’t want to be let down on the day! Check online and make sure you read reviews.
7 weeks before.
- Packing – you will need to buy some tape, markers and bubble wrap so you can keep your belongings organised. You will also need to buy some boxes. Local businesses may be able to provide you with some cardboard boxes that you could put your smaller possessions in, worth the ask!
- Not enough room for that – if you have sorted through your belongings and noticed there are things you no longer want or need. Charity shops will be more than happy to take most things from you. You could also hold a car boot sale of your unwanted belongings!
6 weeks before.
- Schools – if you have children, you will need to notify the school they are attending that you are moving. Make sure to get copies of your childrens/childs school records and check into the enrolment process at the schools closer to where you are moving to.
- Medical records – Make sure to ask your doctor for your families medical records as you might need to change your GP to a more local one.
5 weeks before.
- Call the moving company – as you have already looked around and researched for a good reliable moving company, now is the time to call them and book a date and time and also let them know the relevant details of your move, such as the addresses.
1 month before.
- Pack the unimportant things – The time has come to start packing. As you will have already got some boxes, markers and tape, start packing away non essential things and make sure to label them!
- Utilities – contact your utility providers and start the closing process. You should also shop around for utility providers for your new home.
- Moving from a rented property? – you should now notify your landlord and find out when you can get your security deposit back from them.
3 weeks before.
- Food – be sure to use up any food items that you aren’t planning on taking with you. Make a plan to have nothing left in your freezer, and use up any open food items!
- Pets – Make arrangements to get your pets to your new home.
- Change your address – Make a list of all the companies, friends and family you need to notify you are changing address, such as banks and credit card providers.
- Insurance – If your current home is insured, it’d be a good idea to check with your insurance provider to transfer it to your new property.
- Car – you will also need to inform your car insurance company of the change of address.
2 weeks before.
- Pack everything – It’s time to start packing almost everything away into labelled boxes, only leave out what you need until the move date.
- Valuables – Make sure to take extra care of your valuables such as jewellery, sentimental things or other valuable items. Maybe try to separate them from the main move boxes as you don’t want to mix them up. Transporting them to your new home yourself is probably best.
- Needs a clean? – if your new home or current home need cleaning, make arrangements to have them cleaned so your not leaving your home a mess and not arriving to one!
1 week before.
- Moving company – It’s time to check in with your moving company to double check they have the right date and time and they are still able to move your belongings.
- Essentials – It would be a good idea to pack a bag or a suitcase with things you will need straight away, such as food, toiletries or anything you deem essential. Keep these with you and do not load them with everything else.
1 day before.
- Documents – Keep your important documents which are needed for the move in a safe place and ready for moving day!
- Clearing out – Check that you have cleaned out your fridge and freezer. Double check all cupboards and keep an eye out for any open food products.
Its moving day!
- Help your movers – help your moving company by telling them of any fragile or large items right away. Keep an eye on them as they load things on to the truck to make sure nothing breaks in the process (don’t add too much pressure to them)
You will be responsible for checking that everything has been loaded onto the van.
- Double check – Before your moving company makes its last journey to your new home, double check everything has been removed and everything is accounted for. If you are satisfied, sign the bill of lading and head to your new home!
This post was written by millermetcalfe